Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals completed their match on Sunday evening with the Super Kings winning by eight runs putting the first week of the 2019 Indian Premier League to bed. This is gives us the perfect opportunity to review the Week 1 tournament stats for cricket fans and those who like to bet on IPL.
Points Table Update: Sunday 31st March 2019
The Chennai Super Kings sit at the top of the points table. They are the only team with three wins, and no losses. Chennai Super Kings lead with six points with wins over the Rajasthan Royals, the Delhi Capitals, and the Royal Challengers Bangalore.
The next four teams follow, each with two wins and one loss. With four points each are the Sunrisers Hyderabad, the Kolkata Knight Riders, the Delhi Capitals, and Kings XI Punjab.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad beat the Royal Challengers Bangalore, and the Rajasthan Royals.
- Kolkata Knight Riders beat the Kings XI Punjab and the Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Delhi Capitals beat the Mumbai Indians and the Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Kings XI Punjab beat the Rajasthan Royals and the Mumbai Indians.
The Mumbai Indians, ranked sixth with one win and two losses, have just two points. Mumbai Indians beat the Royal Challengers Bangalore.
The Rajasthan Royals and the Royal Challengers Bangalore both sit with zero wins in three games, and zero points.
- David Warner currently wears the Orange Cap with 254 runs in total. He also has the most fours with 23 fours so far.
- The batting leader with the most sixes is Andre Russell. He also has the best strike rate at 243.28.
- Jonny Bairstow currently holds this year’s IPL record for the highest score with 114 runs.
After taking six wickets, Imran Tahir wears the Purple Cap. Deepak Chahar bowled the most dots with 36 dots.
Mohammad Nabi currently holds the records for the best bowling figures, the best bowling average, and the best economy. The stats for his records are as follows:
- Best Bowling Figures: 4/11
- The Best Bowling Average: 2.75
- Best Economy: 2.75
Notable Points from the First Week
If the first week of the 2019 Indian Premier League is anything to go by, we have an exciting few weeks ahead of us. One match went into a Super Over, which was rather tense and exciting. The Kolkata Knight Riders and Delhi Capitals battled it out with a three-run win to the Delhi Capitals.
There has been much controversy and social media activity after R Ashwin mankaded Jos Buttler. While Ashwin played within the law of cricket, many argue it was not in the spirit of cricket. After three umpires consulted with each other, they allowed Ashwin’s actions. The mankading episode may be one of the most talked about IPL incidents in the history of the league.
David Warner, the Australian player, is back after a year’s ban from professional cricket after a ball tampering scandal. He is clearly on top form with the Orange Cap for the highest number of IPL runs so far. Warner plays for the Sunrisers Hyderabad team.